Sunday, December 23, 2012

Last Minute Entry - Old Town Alexandria

I didn't expect to find much in the way of "quality" Christmas decorating in Old Town Alexandria, given the general air of sophistication that residents of this fine area are wont to adapt.  Nonetheless, I happened to be in the area about a week ago and was attracted by the bright blue lights of this house and had to take a closer look. 

Blue Wonderland



Decorators have ingeniously juxtaposed the horizontal orientation of their three-story row house with the vertical lights.  At first I thought that this house was one of a kind, but later saw another version with lights of varying colors.  I think this house made a wise choice in its monochromatic decorating, which otherwise could have veered into the inelegant.  

I was also in Old Town earlier this week and saw a house that didn't appear to have any Christmas decorations (no lights, wreaths, etc).  But, I then noticed that it had a Halloween decoration in the second story window, a spider in a web.  On closer examination I noticed that it actually was a Christmas decoration, for the spider was wearing a Santa hat.  Unfortunately, it was too dark to take a good picture.   

No comments: